Sunday, 12 August 2012

Some day I will move to a small island where they have no doctors!

Last week I had my cancer scans (if you are interested in my cancer story go back to March). It's been more than 10 years now, but I still have to go back once a year to get tortured. I keep postponing it so I have my check up in the summer although I was originally diagnosed in January (if I keep postponing it a little bit each year, I eventually will have to go through one less scan).
Usually hendrik accompanies me, but since he is unavailable right now, my mom had the pleasure to come with me to my favorite hospital. I dread these days since they let all the memories come back and you are scared since there might be something wrong. I have a ritual whenever I enter the cancer ward. I always go to the bathroom immeadiately and puke my guts out since the smell is enough to make me sick. Then I get poked by about 5 million needles, get a chest X- ray and then comes the best part. I get to put on one of those sexy hospital night gowns and receive a pill that makes me kind of sleep. I say kind of since you get sleepy, but you are still awake. Next I meet my favorite doctor in the entire world (the one who convinced me that I would live), but at this point I am not able to adequately greet him. This has to wait since he has a needle the size of my litlle finger in his hand and is about to poke me into my hip bone (bone marrow test). He needs to use all his force for this and it hurts like hell. This year I was especially emotional (maybe because the past year was so crappy) and I started bawling my eyes out. I completely lost it. Although I was drugged up quite a bit, I was able to sob and lots of it. I remember that some nice people tried to console me, but it did not work. Only my mommy could. I'm such a baby.
After an hour it was time to speak to my doctor friend (I forgive quickly). Of course my scans were clear (thank you God). The main point of this chat was to figure out the right medicine for me. I take about 8 pills every day and absolutely hate them. They make me loose my appetite and I throw up pretty easily. This is the reason I have very skinny arms although I do so much sport.I cannot get any muscles and it used to be frustrating because during my swimming years I never had enough strength. I don't really like my body since it is very skinny and I think I look like a 12 year old. Different subject!
While the doc was writing out my prescriptions I told him that I would stop taking my pills and move to a lonely island some day where they don't have any doctors and use herbs to treat any kind of disease. He did not think this was such a brillant idea. Then we said goodbye and he said " Until next year". I told him I was not so sure.
Afterwards I met with my best friend and told her about the way I had felt about her lack of support with regard to the hendrik issues. She promised to do better in the future and it felt good to finally talk about it to her. After this I talked to quite a few other people and they always were surprised that I had missed their support and usually said they had just wanted to keep out. Whatever!
Ok, so my friend decided to donate blood. Thus, we went back to the hospital and afterwards we had dinner at our favorite restaurant. A great end to a s..ty day.


3 comments:

  1. During my time becoming a Medical Technical Assistant I had to assist the doctors doing bone marrow tests...and I couldn't do it. Seeing the patient in so much pain made me faint...so even though I didn't have to go through it myself I saw enough to know what you are going through every year. Good thing your Mom was there with you...I'd need somebody with me too.
    I'm so happy to hear everything is okay!
    And I'm also happy for you you got to talk to you friend and were able to end your day nicely :)
    I hope you'll also have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send my prayers for your health. you're so tough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Da ich keine Möglichkeit habe, per E-Mail auf Deinen lieben Kommentar zu antworten, mache ich das mal hier :)
    Ja, manchmal geht mir das auch so, dass ich alle paar Stunden gucke, ob jemand was neues gepostet hat.
    Ben & Jerry's Eis ist toll...aber am liebsten mag ich eine Sorte, die es hier gar nicht gibt - leider. Peanut Butter Cup! Soooooooooo lecker.
    Ich hoffe, es geht Dir gut!
    Schicke Dir ganz liebe Grüße

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you so much for your comment! I hope to reply soon!