In 2010 he graduated from High School with VERY good marks. His average was 1,4. The best you can possibly get is 1,0. But instead of having the summer of his life he went into hospital to have surgery. And not just any surgery. I do not know all the details because I if somebody had told me I would have freaked out, but essentially the broke is jaw in several places annd put a bone piece from his hip into his mouth. Afterwards he had to spend a day in intensive care and could not eat for about 8 weeks and could not talk. When my parents wanted to see him for the first time after the surgery they went into his hospital room, looked around and went to the nurse the ask where my brother was. He was in that hospital room they had just left. They had not recognized their own child. I was prepared when I came but I still started crying for the little boy he had always been to me when I first saw him.
During the next months he recovered. I tried to be there for him. I sat at his hospital bed every single day. For hours. Without saying a word because he could not respond. I ate his meals and they were disgusting. When he came home we played card games during the night cause he could not sleep.I was sleep deprived like a mother of a newborn. Then the fall semester started, I moved out (before that I had commuted to university) and he stayed. On facebook some of his friends posted pictures of beaches and their amazing gap years. My brother struggled to eat and in December he could bite into an apple for the first time. But he could not close his lips although all the swelling was gone. The doctor said it was ok; that it would go away when the removed the nails in his jaw. In February they did, but he still could not close his mouth. Slowly, the doctor admitted that he had done a mistake. How could that be? I know it happens, but why don't you admit it right away so that one can correct it. Ok, we surely would not have gone back to that stupid doctor and he would have lost a patient (a lot of money). This is not fair. Everything was on hold for my brother. No university, no girlfriend,no nothing. My brother became bitter and made the decision to become a doctor. Last October the best doctor in Germany for this kind of surgery tried to correct it. He did not succeed. They would have to do the entire initial surgery again. That was in my May. I was a mess because of Hendrik and my brother. Two out of the four person I love most where hurting badly. In May my grandpa died. It was four weeks after the surgery. My brother could not eat and hardly talk. Then we followed the urn to the grave. I had my sobbing brother at one side and Hendrik at the other. My brother sobbed uncontrollably. It was not only the loss of my grandfather who Nico is so very much alike, but also the injustice of the world. Why he? Why did he have to endure this terrible surgery several times and in addition did not get admitted into medical school although his grades were so good.
On Thursday my brother moved to Cologne to finally start medical school. Oh my! I was so proud. he still has to have the nails removed from his last surgery, but he finally sees something different than hopsitals and his room at home. There has not been much during the last years. When he called on friday to tell me about all the things he had done and seen in just one day I listened while silent tears were rolling down my face. He deserves this so much.
| Our family the day Nico graduated. Before all the above happened. |
Wow! What trials your brother is going through. I'm glad he has such a sweet and supportive sister like you to help him through it
ReplyDeletei can't really say anything but what a great person he is! it must be hard, i can't even imagine, but he's going through it. send my prayers for you and your brother Anne. you're such a beautiful soul. i believe that everything will fall into place.
ReplyDelete