I had a conversation with a very good friend of mine today. We were talking about everything from university to guys and sports. Of course I talked about all the negative/sad stuff going on with Hendrik and my brother in my life at the moment. She asked me what I did when I feel especially sad. I said I pray. Don't get me wrong; I'm not the kind of person that believes that praying is enough to make everything all right again. But I believe it helps. My friend is not religious at all. And I usually don't talk about my faith except with people I do know believe themselves. But when she asked me about what I did when I felt desperate I gave an honest answer. So she asked what I would do if one day I should find out that there is no God, that Im talking to thin air (not that I would ever find out because I would not revive) My answer to that was that I would still pray because it helps me to feel better and gives me hope. Her reaction to this answer was laughter. She called me a funny person. This HURT. To me this is a serious topic. My answer was not a joke. I still would pray if there was nobody listening to me. I did not know how to react to her laughter as I could not do what I wanted to do which was cry. Faith is a personal topic and even if somebody told me he believed in the holy tree trunk I would not laugh at him because I could imagine that it would hurt this person. Not believing is all right with me, but making fun of somebody because of what he believes is just cruel. Is this what friends do?
How would you have reacted?
I've been in a situation like this before...many times. My boyfriend of almost 2 years doesn't believe in God....karma...nothing. I believe. It's hard to talk to him about spiritual things...because I know that the outcome is always the same.
ReplyDeleteTheirs no changing people. People have to believe for themselves...that's what I believe....as much as I wish things could be different: it's not going to happen: and I'm fine with that.
My motto "to each their own"....it's sad to hear that your good friend laughs at you, regarding faith...I would feel the same way: not sure how to respond. It's a hard thing to react to. You just have to keep going, believing in what you believe in, even if that means not being able to share your faith...and what you believe in. I choose to believe in God, pray and pray for those that don't have God in their heart. I believe that we all choose to have God in our hearts at some point.
Just be strong and don't let anyone ever waiver you from what you believe. : )
If I did not share my faith with my boyfriend...we certainly would not be together anymore. It's one of the few things that link us right now. But you are right, you cannot change people. I'say a prayer for my friend tonight. Thanks for your comment. I like your ideas :)
ReplyDelete