Monday, 7 November 2011

My brother

On Wednesday my brother is having yet another surgery. It all started in July 2010. He had surgery on his jaw which was pretty hard for all of us. I've never seen my poor little brother so sad and desperate. He looked so different. It was a 9 hour surgery. He had just graduated from High School and instead of having a careless summer of fun, he went to the hospital to have this terrible surgery and recovered for the rest of the summer. The first time he could bite into an apple again was in December! It was very hard. Because of all this he did not begin to study in fall. Instead he learnt Latin. That's my nerdy brother. If you have a gap year, learn Latin FOR FUN.
In February he had the nails removed and we hoped that the next step could be his nose because if you move what's underneath (the jaw) what's above will also change. But when the swelling went away he could not close his mouth properly again. Turns out the surgeon made a mistake. This means that on Wednesday (half a year and countless doctors visits later) he is having another surgery. And another in February to do his nose. My hear aches for him. He still could not start to study because all of this s..t (sorry, but there is no other word to describe it). I want him to be well so badly. He's my little brother after all. The last weeks were just hard again. All his friends moved away since most of them had done a gap year as well and now went to college. He became very depressed. He hardly left the house. I cannot imagine how hard this has to be for my parents. Im gone most of the week. But whenever I come home he is in his room. On top of all this, he's a perfectionist. Everything from his trousers to his hair cut to his job has to be absolutely perfect. Good is not enough. He wants to study medicine. But it is hard to get admitted. He has a VERY good A- level, but it might not be good enough. I would do anything to help him. If I could, I would have the surgeries for him. I love him soo much. And I can't stand to see him hurt again. But there's nothing I can do.
I was in love with him since the day he was born. It's the first memory I have of my life. My grandma woke me up to tell me that I had a brother. I was two at the time. During the next 10 years we were hardly apart. We played together and did our sports together. In school I watched over him (as much as he allowed me). When we grew older we also grew apart. But I never stopped terribly loving him. And I believe he did too. He does not talk about such things. When I graduated I stayed home for 2 years because of him. I thought we might have more good times together. which we did. but during the past ten years there was always something inside me hoping for more. If I could I would still be best friends with him. But that's not possible. We have to be individual persons. That's at least what he seems to think. He built some very high walls around him. Still, that does not mean I would not do ANYTHING for him. He's so bitter now. He won't even let me hug him... which hurts soooo bad. Can't I have my cute, cheerful brother back, PLEASE!!!!
If you find time, could you pray for him? It would mean a lot to me...and to him.

2 comments:

  1. Find time! of course. I just read this post, at work this morning and was almost crying at my desk. I too have a little brother and sister...and it breaks my heart that things can't stay the same as they do when we're little. Things change, so do people, but they'll always have a special place in our hearts: because that's what Family is.

    I will pray a special prayer for him and your whole family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you soo much! I just talked to my dad and he was in tears. He never cries. He said my brother was scared .I want to be the one who has the surgery tomorrow, not him again.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you so much for your comment! I hope to reply soon!