Saturday, 2 March 2013

On not having an appetite

Although I hardly have any side effects of my chemo ten years ago, I certainly have one.: I hardly ever have an appetite. And since I was diagnosed with this VERY light form of crohn's disease it has gone completely aboard.
I am never hungry. I usually only eat because I like the smell or the taste. Some might think this is great, because it is very easy to loose weight . It is, but I don't want to loose weight. I have to schedule meals and I never know how much I should eat because I feel like I am done the minute I start. Often I start to feel dizzy or have an headache, because I actually forgot to eat. Often I also go jogging or swimming and wonder why  I don't have any energy only to realize that I forgot to eat prior to my work out.
Last week I had blood taken and when the doctor called me he told me I was malnurished and told me to get some liquid meals to fatten me up. So I went gto the pharmacy and got these drinks. They are digusting. They come in all sorts of flavors but my tummy hurts afterwards because the are so nourishing.
Another funny aspect  that has to do with my inability to absorb nutritients is my relationship with alcohol. I get drunk VERY easily. Give me two glasses of wine and I am wiped out  (there is a glass of sangria next to me right now...my first). This was so much fun in High school. During my last year of high school I went partying about once a week (a lot for this boring grandmother) and people usually could not believe I could be drunk after 2 drinks. To clarify: I remember every night of my life and plan to keep it that way, but after two drinks I usually just sit in the corner and eventually fall asleep (I am NOT a night owl).
Anyways, when I came home to have lunch with my parents today my mother greeted me with the words: "Oh, thank God! Your lovely cheeks are back." So , the (very expensive drinks...way too expensive drinks for a student) are doing some good. I must have forgotten to eat a few times during all the studying I have been doing the last couple of weeks ;)
Should I have another glass of sangria? It tastes so good....

4 comments:

  1. i hope you get your appetite back. that might be awesome for some people because as you say, it's easy to lose weight that way. but i hope it won't bother your health. haha, tell me about alcohol. it's work of a devil to me. just a small sip then i'll have a bad stomach ache. seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you have another glass? :)
    I only need one glass of wine to be really funny and laughing a lot...and the second will make me fall asleep in an instant ;)

    This side effect is not nice at all. I can't eat a lot of things so I'm having quite healthy food most of the time - which leads to rather underweight than overweight - but I totally know how this is nothing to be jealous of just like in your case.
    I hope your feeling of being hungry will come back one day. And that the drinks will help you for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I did! My body may be ruined, but I won't let it spoil the fun ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!!! I am reminded of that old saying 'Some people LIVE to EAT and others EAT to LIVE!'
    When my daughter was expecting quadruplets I would buy her the HULK from Smoothie King. A whole day's worth of calories for the normal person. Of course she was growing FOUR at the time. She drank the, also when she was a competitive synchronized swimmer. At least they TASTE good and they are good FOR you!

    It's late and I have had MY glass of wine so I am headed to bed!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Thank you so much for your comment! I hope to reply soon!